Saturday, June 21, 2008

learning to listen

I pride myself on being a good listener. I may not always give the best advice, but I make an effort to show people that I am listening. I ask questions so I can better understand. I pay attention to the little things that other people may not notice. I give feedback to show that I am listening and not just hearing.

However, I think that while listening to everyone else, I forgot how to listen to my own body. Since I've been here in DC, I haven't had many people to listen to. My roommates and I strike up conversation when we're around at the same time. But, for the most part I find myself keeping busy and then feeling hungry or tired. For the past four years, I didn't feel hungry often because I had plans for most meals. And I felt tired, but I fought the feeling with caffeine and more busy-ness. Now that I have no plans for meals and plenty of time to rest, I'm trying to learn the healthy way to approach hunger and fatigue. Listening is always the first step to understanding. Now that I have time to listen, I think I'm on the right track.

On a less self-reflective note, I went to a target today! It had 2 floors! And there's a special escalator for shopping carts! Who knew such a thing existed?!?!? I loved it. I'm pretty sure I'm going back on Monday and getting a cart just so I can practice sending it up the special escalator. The target is located in the Columbia Heights neighborhood and is right beside a metro stop. There's also a Best Buy, Marshall's, Bed Bath & Beyond, and plenty of other stores. I can't wait to explore that area more.

Tomorrow will be the last day of my first week here. Maybe something eventful will happen!

Bye for now.

1 comment:

Whitney said...

yay! they have those shopping cart escalators in Mexico & I'm so glad to hear they've made it to the States--I agree, they're super fun :)