Saturday, June 14, 2008

Job first, Decorating second

So I've spent the past couple days visiting friends and family that I will miss very much while I'm off on my DC adventure. Here's a summary of the week's festivities (in list format, of course).

a) I spent Wednesday night with my cousin's family in Concord. The newest member of the family, James McCray, is 2 weeks old today!!! I got to play Simon Says, power rangers, hungry hippos, and play-doh with the older boys while their mom tended to baby Mac. Oh and on Thursday morning I woke up at 7am to a 6yr old staring at me. I guess he likes getting up early now that school is out and he doesn't have to...

b) Being in Chapel Hill has been bittersweet (luckily the majority of it has been sweet). I love being here and visiting with people, but I'm reminded of the change that is to come. I'm not a college student anymore. I've always thought it was funny when people said that after college comes the real world. Aren't we always living in the real world? I mean sometimes I feel like my life is a movie, but I'm constantly reminded that everyday is as real as can be. I got some good advice from a wise friend today.
1. College is good, but the "real world" is better. I'm not sure what's so great about it, but I'm super excited to find out!
2. Get a job, and then decorate. I'm so ready to move into my apartment and at night I can't sleep because I'm thinking about how I'll arrange things, or what curtains I should get, or what sort of photos will hang on the wall (photos are the best form of art in my opinion). My friend reminded me that I have plenty of time to decorate. Hopefully I'll be in this apartment for a while. If I do everything now, I won't have fun projects to look forward to later.
3. This isn't so much advice as an important self-realization. I usually have to make a major decision in order to make smaller decisions. It's like junior year when I felt like something was wrong, I needed a big change- so I changed my major. And while life didn't suddenly seem perfect, I felt like I could take on what was thrown at me. Today my friend told me that all year long she had been trying to get me to make some sort of decision, and here I am making a big life decision. So I think now that I have the big life decision out of the way, the other things are going to slowly work out. Hopefully that means everything will work out with the UHAUL truck. I booked one online, but the local branch doesn't have record of the reservation. Thank you internet.

c) I'm going to cook-out tomorrow! I'm not sure if they have cook-out in DC, but I'm going to guess no. There are CVSs and Starbucks on alternating corners, but I'm pretty sure neither of those places sell banana pudding milkshakes...

I miss North Carolina already.

No comments: