Thursday, July 3, 2008

strawberry swing

According to StrengthsQuest, one of my strengths is connectedness. I like connecting other people with each other and I also look for relationships between topics. When I would sit in class listening to a professor's lecture, I would think about how what they were talking about was connected to something I had heard in a different class that same day. I can probably link things that most people think are unrelated. Anyways, this is relevant because today I realized that I will always link the new Coldplay CD with my first couple weeks in DC. Some other examples of my music to time period connections are: John Mayer with my trip to Australia in high school, Snow Patrol with my school of ed days, and Brad Paisley with my first summer away from home.

"Strawberry Swing" is one of my favorite songs on the CD... Here's some lyrics:
People moving all the time
Inside a perfectly straight line
Don't you wanna curve away?
When it's such...
It's such a perfect day

I just smile everytime I hear that- "such a perfect day" :)

Here's a synopsis of my one of many perfect days in DC:

1. I rode the metro downtown so I could go to a museum. The Museum of American History was closed for renovations, so I went over to the Holocaust Museum. This museum is different from others I've been to in that it directs your path. I liked that it followed a timeline, but there is just so much to see and read and take in that it was a bit overwhelming. I felt like I paid attention for like 45mins and then was just looking for the exit. There is alot to think about when walking through the museum- the people affected, the overall impact on history, why it happened, etc. I'll go back sometime and see what all I missed. My favorite part was listening to one of the museum guides talk about the architecture of the museum- there are many windows and skylights, but the only thing you can see through these windows is the sky and other parts of the museum. It is my understanding that the architect, a Holocaust survivor, designed the museum this way to create a feeling of being trapped. I can't even imagine the thought and mathematics and planning that went into designing the museum!

2. I got a call from the non-profit I interviewed at yesterday and they want me to come in on Monday for a secondary interview!!!! yay! yay! yay! Yesterday's interview went really well and after hearing more about the organization and the position, I can hardly contain my excitement at having a second interview! But I'm trying to keep myself grounded and remember that whatever happens will happen for a reason.

3. The Smithsonian Folklife Festival was occurring on the National Mall today. I walked around and sipped on a Lime Fizz (I had to walk probably a mile to find cash so I could actually buy the Lime Fizz... and it was so worth it!). Then I sat in the Texas Dancehall and listened to some country music and watched people dance. I sat there wishing I was under the age of 10 so I could go up there and dance around with my brother and sister. That is so the kind of thing we used to do.

Happy 4th of July!!!

I'm wishing you all many 'such a perfect days'.

No comments: