Wednesday, July 9, 2008

patience is a virtue

The job search, like many things in life, is a waiting game. My secondary interview on Monday went well, but I still have not heard back from anyone. Hopefully I'll know by tomorrow.

Yesterday I started reading The Death of Innocents. It is much more intense and requires more thought than the book I just finished, The Namesake. (Sidenote: I didn't appreciate Carolina's summer reading selections until now. Both books provoke more questions than answers, but that is appropriate given Carolina's focus on the liberal arts.) Although the book is written by a nun who becomes a spiritual advisor for men on death row, I did not expect Christianity to be a central element of the novel. Here is one of the many insightful quotes from Chapter 1: This is the death house, where killing is done by quiet-spoken, polite people, who first serve you a fine meal and pray with you before they kill you. The book uncovers details of the moments before death as well as the neverending trial process.

OOOh! I almost forgot- I met someone from North Carolina today! I was checking out at The Limited (I justify shopping by telling myself I need "work clothes") and when the sales associate looked at my license, she told me she just moved here from Durham. Yay Raleigh-Durham! I think I will always be excited when I encounter someone else from the Tar Heel state. :) Can someone please send me some BBQ and Sweet Tea? K, thanks.

2 comments:

Jillann said...

BBQ and sweet tea. Two things I really miss from North Carolina. Also, any form of sea food, although you most likely don't have that problem in DC.

I've always appreciated the UNC summer reading selections. :)

Whitney said...

throw in a bo-berry biscuit and we'll have ourselves a party :)