Sunday, September 7, 2008

home (chapel hill) sick

I miss you. This past month has been full of long hours, lots of questions, and an overwhelming number of new people.

Let's start with the good- I love the people I work with. I'm never bored. There's a Starbucks and a Whole Foods at the AU metro station.

Now for the not so good- I don't really know what it is I do. I feel like I'm seriously lacking in purpose. I haven't found a core group of friends. I work too much.. I'm never around kids.

Elaboration- Today I volunteered with DC's Convoy of Hope. I got to sit outside in the sunshine (the days after tropical storms are the best days to be outside). I colored and did crafty projects with children of all ages. At one point I was running around a parking lot with a 2nd grader on my back. That is the sort of thing that would leave most people drained, but it fills me with energy- an energy I've been lacking these past couple weeks. I'm not sure what to take away from this experience. At this point I'm just questioning my decision to work at AU. It is definitely a good place to be in transition and I'm gaining invaluable experience, but there are no kids. Sadness.

On top of this, I miss Chapel Hill more every day. When I start thinking of my dear friends who are still there I start tearing up (and this usually happens on the metro... ha). I miss the deep conversations, words of encouragement, and hours of laughter. And I definitely miss Yogurt Pump!

I'm hoping this is just the two month slump and that things will brighten up here soon. They should at least be cooling off. Doesn't mother nature know that I moved here for the cooler temperatures?

2 comments:

Whitney said...

keep your chin up Michelle & know that you are DEFINITELY not alone in these feelings.

I am so proud of you for all the steps you have taken & I trust that God has great purpose for your life, which He will reveal to you in His time. I hope you will continue to have opportunities to spend time with kids & find that rejuvenating energy!

Carrie Nixon said...

Hey Girl! I wish I could come give you a big hug. But, you'll just have to pretend that Sam and I are there, cheering you on. I totally believe that you are exactly where you need to be right now, even if only for a while. So, chin up and press on chica!